Progress on Big Allotment Project
Update on progress at the school allotment.
During term 2 we were very busy altering the layout of the allotment so that the wheelchair users could reach more areas of raised beds. This involved a lot of lifting turf and digging! One of the hardest things to do, was to dig out the old supports for a bed that was being moved…..it was a real team effort. The movement of a large amount of turf also wore some people out!
In addition we planted out our onion sets and dug over the beds for planting potatoes in the spring. We also planted up the planters at the front of the school with bulbs and plants, as well as making Xmas pots of bulbs and plants to sell at the Xmas fayre at school.
In term 3 we finished building one of the new raised beds and filled them with topsoil kindly donated by Wickes. We chitted our potatoes and started planting seeds to grow on in the courtyard greenhouse. Unfortunately our polytunnel was badly damaged in the wind over Xmas and flew in the air like the Wizard of Oz…landing behind the Play Pod …a distance of over 50
metres! This was despite being heavily weighted down with fertiliser bags and bricks!
Attached are pictures of one of our raised bed areas that we have now finished. We used post-crete to cement the corner posts in place, used screws for the retaining walls and lined it with butyl liner to stop the walls from rotting due to damp soil.
A big thank you to Mr Russell who donated 40 bricks towards the raised beds.
Attached are some pictures of us at work.